Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a career, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
- If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
To deliver high performing machine learning models for use in credit risk.
What will you be doing?
What we’re looking for:
- Development and management of machine learning models for credit risk
- Trusted consultant to team members in the Model Ownership and Technology teams on machine learning modelling, contributing to model related decisions.
- Planning and delivery of high performing models, meeting agreed deadlines and ensuring accurate, efficient implementation of models in production systems.
- Perform annual reviews, performance monitoring reviews, retrains and remediation activity on models as required.
- Ensure all deliveries conform to Barclays Model Risk Governance Framework and regulatory requirements and produce robust, clear documentation.
- Keep abreast of machine learning and industry developments, conducting R&D to incorporate best in class modelling methodologies and disseminating learnings within the team.
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Strong analytical skills with proven ability to develop and implement predictive machine learning models on very large data sets in Hadoop environments using tools such as Python and Spark.
- Experience of credit risk management practices in a Financial Services company, with understanding of model usage, technology and governance.
- Demonstrated ability plan projects and build relationships with stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a numerate subject (such as maths, statistics, computer science or physics).
- Experience developing and implementing the latest machine learning models (e.g. Random Forests, Gradient Boosted Machines and Deep Neural Networks) in a financial services company for credit, fraud, or compliance risk management.
- Ability to take cutting edge data science and machine learning research and translate it into value-adding business projects leveraging the newest algorithms and technology.
- PhD in a numerate subject and certificates in Machine Learning courses.
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose and Values
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do:
Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our flexible working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.