Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to SAAD.Recruit@fco.gov.uk if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of job:
UKVI is a global operation that processes over three million visa applications each year from foreign national customers wishing to travel to the United Kingdom.
UKVI in India are based at the British High Commission compounds in New Delhi and Chennai. UKVI in India handle over 600,000 visa applications per year from customers applying in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Laos and Cambodia.
The Visa Support Assistant (VSA – A1 grade) jobs are vital administrative support roles that ensure UKVI delivers a highly effective visa service that supports all our operational demands, border security objectives and customer service targets.
Roles and responsibilities:
There are a range of VSA – grade A1 roles in UKVI. All the roles will involve the following generic responsibilities:
- Data-entry; inputting, accessing and updating UKVI’s IT systems.
- Linking paper correspondence with relevant records.
- Record management – IT and paper based.
- Passport handling, visa writing and passport despatch.
- Information checking and verification.
- Meeting personal productivity benchmarks and undertaking all tasks with a very high degree of accuracy.
- Understanding and striving to meet UKVI’s customer service targets.
- Dealing with all customers fairly and courteously.
- Acting with professionalism in all circumstances.
- Referring queries to more senior staff when appropriate.
- Accepting and acting upon feedback.
- Always acting within UKVI’s Code of Personal Conduct.
Working with others
- Working effectively and supportively with colleagues, both individually and in a team.
- Treating everyone with consideration and respect, regardless of work pressure.
- Contributing to effective team working and morale when the opportunity arises.
- Demonstrate willingness to be flexible and support colleagues when they are under pressure.
- Take personal responsibility for playing your part in an efficient and tidy office environment.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with customers, colleagues and team members.
- Handling of telephone and email enquiries.
- Writing effectively and assisting with correspondence, drafting and report writing; providing information clearly and concisely.
Learning and Development
What we want from you :
- Being open and flexible approach to new ideas, drawing on skills and experience to contribute to improvements in working practices.
- Make the most of opportunities for self-development and job related training.
- Take an interest in issues concerning the office and share knowledge with others.
We are seeking flexible people who work well in a busy IT-based office environment. You will need to be adaptable and show a willingness to undertake a variety of tasks. You will need an eye for detail, a positive attitude, good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a busy and focused team. We also want you to enjoy working with us – so please bring your sense of fun too - and enjoy getting to know your new role and your new colleagues.
Learning and development opportunities:
Useful training/guidance given once in job:
UKVI offers a development programme based upon business need and individual staff requirements. Development opportunities will be discussed with the successful applicant.
Number of vacancies - Multiple.
Duration of this position - 3-6 months
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
Essential on arrival:
- Education: must be a university graduate.
- An excellent command of English (written and spoken).
- Good communication and people-friendly interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, accessing databases & web based applications).
- The ability to work as part of a team and work under pressure to meet challenging targets.
- A positive attitude, can do attitude, with attention to detail.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
Fluency in any regional language (but not mandatory).
Changing and Improving, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline - day Application deadline - month Application deadline - year
31 January 2022
Type of Position
Working hours per week
South Asia & Afghanistan
Type of Post
British High Commission
Start Date Start Date - day Start Date - month Start Date - year
1 March 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be INR 36,172.
Please note - BHC does not deduct tax at source and employees are required to ensure that any requirements of local income-tax law are complied with in full. Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg. some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-days working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCDO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 31st January 2022 (latest by 23:55 hours IST).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Please note - Provident Fund Transfer in and out from EPFO is not possible as BHC PF is managed by a private PF trust governed by Indian Income Tax Act, 1961. The staff still has the option to transfer out and in from a privately held PF trust which are not governed by EPFO.
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.