About BNP Paribas Group:
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. It has a presence in 71 countries, with approximately 199,000 employees. The Group has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. The Group helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realise their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
About BNP Paribas India Solutions:
Established in 2005, BNP Paribas India Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of BNP Paribas SA, a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. With delivery centers located in Bengaluru, Chennai and Mumbai, we are a 24x7 global delivery center. India Solutions services three business lines: Corporate and Institutional Banking, Investment Solutions and Retail Banking for BNP Paribas across the Group. Driving innovation and growth, we are harnessing the potential of over 6000 employees, to provide support and develop best-in-class solutions
About Businessline/Function :
ISPL FSS is set up as a Shared Service Centre and works on an Extended Plus model, within a defined governance structure. It is a Global hub and delivers services to CIB/BOW Finance teams across the geographies. It is organized by 6 work streams and provides services across 29 countries
The Accounting Control team performs a key role in maintaining the quality of the accounting control environment that underpins the Finance reporting processes: Group Head Office reporting, Statutory reporting, Regulatory reporting and internal Performance Management reporting for the Regional platform.
The objective of the AC Level 2 control team is to provide independent assurance that Level 1 controls (i.e. controls that are performed to ensure the accounting data is complete and accurate) are properly executed and that Group, CIB and local accounting control policies (inc the minimum control standards defined in the Standard Accounting Control Plan) are implemented appropriately. This Level 2 control framework includes periodic detailed testing of the documented controls that underpin the Regional accounting ledger balances and specific testing/review of balances and processes in accordance with the BNP Paribas control policies.
The role will require regular interaction with other Finance teams in Region and Mumbai and other control functions and provides the role holder with a broad view of the activities and processes in the Finance function and other functions on which Finance is dependent.
The Intermediate Holding Company (“IHC”) program structured at the U.S. level across poles of activities of BNP Paribas provides guidance, supports the analysis, impact assessment and drives adjustments of the U.S. platform’s operating model due to the drastic changes introduced by the Enhanced Prudential Standards (“EPS”) for Foreign Banking Organizations (“FBOs”) finalized by the Federal Reserve in February 2014, implementing Section 165 of U.S. Dodd-Frank Act.
The Accounting Control Department is a transversal function within CIB Finance whose primary roles are:
- to develop and implement a strong accounting control framework for CIB Banking and non-Banking entities (such as Broker/Dealers entities),
- to perform 2nd level of controls for controls primary run by other Finance and non-Finance teams, and
- to report on main controls areas, for both local and central needs and requirements.
Team works on Control testing for FDICIA, IT controls and regulatory reporting controls. Testing done is submitted to external auditor/ Regulator/Internal audit function for validation.
VP - Accounting Control - UK & NAR
Business Line / Function:
Head – Accounting Control
Number of Direct Reports:
Directorship / Registration:
Accounting Control - CIB
Contribute to the performance of 2nd level accounting control of BNP Paribas entities in Asia Pacific.
- Drive the account owner sign-off and first level accounting control certification process
- Perform and document accounting controls and analysis
- Contribute to the automation of certain accounting control processes and the standardisation of booking schemes among entities.
Accounting Controls – CIB
§ Directly managing a team of ~12-15 people; setting up the team, responsible for the career and personal development of the team.
§ Managing and ensuring smooth Client relationship
§ Contribute to the performance of 2nd level Accounting control for APAC, UK & NAR regions on a list of key areas defined by the BNP Paribas Group. This includes review of the 1st level controls for all major financial and accounting areas, including all banking products’ accounting and reconciliations, Custody reconciliations, Revenue Recognition, Credit and portfolio risk and provisioning, Nostro controls, Manual entries, FX sell-down, intercompany reconciliation etc.
§ Monitoring Account Justification process through Beacon
§ Monitor account and 1st level control sign-off and escalate problems identified.
§ Contribute to the preparation of the “Entity Control Reports” that provides Chief Financial Officers with an overview of accounting control outcome on a monthly basis.
§ Monitor Accounting Control outcomes through key performance and key risk indicators
§ Prepare ad hoc Control memo upon request when an issue is identified.
§ Ensure the good coordination with the Regional Financial Reporting team, in particular whenever an accounting issue needs to be addressed
§ Participate to Finance Projects linked to Accounting Controls
§ Contribute to BNP Paribas Operational permanent control framework.
§ Report incidents and accounting issues.
- Client – VOC, Escalation, Service delivery, BAU, Governance
- New business/transition management
- Cost & Budget
- Continuous improvement & efficiency, automation
- People management & team handling– Hiring, Retaining talent, Attrition, Opportunities (IJP), Growth, Appraisals, Compensation
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
1. Qualified Chartered Accountant
2. Accounting degree or equivalent
3. 10+ years experiences on Accounting, Finance, Audit or Internal controls
4. Former audit experience or experiences on the accounting controls within a Finance function in Banking and Financial Services (mandatory)
5. Knowledge of Banking products – CIB (Investment banking products, Security Services, Corporate Banking) and Retail Banking
6. Good understanding or knowledge of SOX/FDICIA requirements and familiarity with COSO framework
7. Solid understanding of financial instruments and developed skills in analysis of business supporting processes from accounting control perspective
8. IFRS knowledge (Preferable)
9. Strong organizational skills, rigorous, and self-disciplined
10. Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a strong control environment
11. Good communication skills, (i.e. writing, listening, presentation)
12. Advanced technical skills (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
13. People management
Specific Qualifications (if required)
(Please select up to 4 skills)
Ability to deliver / Results driven
Communication skills - oral & written
(Please select up to 5 skills)
Ability to manage a project
Ability to manage / facilitate a meeting, seminar, committee, training…
Ability to develop and leverage networks
Ability to understand, explain and support change
Master Degree or equivalent
At least 12 years
Other/Specific Qualifications (if required)
Qualified Chartered Accountant
Accounting degree or equivalent
10+ years experiences on Accounting, Finance, Audit or Internal controls0
Former audit experience or experiences on the accounting controls within a Finance function in Banking and Financial Services (mandatory)
Knowledge of Banking products – CIB (Investment banking products, Security Services, Corporate Banking) and Retail Banking
Good understanding or knowledge of SOX/FDICIA requirements and familiarity with COSO framework
Solid understanding of financial instruments and developed skills in analysis of business supporting processes from accounting control perspective
IFRS knowledge (Preferable)
Strong organizational skills, rigorous, and self-disciplined
Attention to detail and commitment to maintaining a strong control environment
Good communication skills, (i.e. writing, listening, presentation)
Advanced technical skills (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)