- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Engineering, Architecture, or equivalent work history with experience in construction project management.
- 5+ years of construction management experience running construction projects.
- 3+ years of experience directly managing, mentoring, leading, and coaching construction management, engineering design, procurement, controls, and commissioning professionals.
- Experience developing and leading the evaluation and selection (request for proposals) of contractors for construction.
- Previous vendor negotiation and management associated with construction and project execution.
- Understand electrical engineering best practices including power, breaker coordination studies and switch gear sequence of operation.
- Understand mechanical engineering systems such as HVAC and air handling.
- Able to read and interpret construction related drawings for all disciplines.
- Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
- Motivated and highly dependable, requiring limited oversight.
- Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
- Ability to define data center system-level architecture, specify/document performance and equipment requirements, create/communicate conceptual designs, and create/maintain project documentation.
- Ability and willingness to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs and duration with no impact on quality and reliability.
- Ability to perform complex business case and data analysis to justify the project scope and present the justification to management in a high level review.
- Possess clear, concise writing skills.
- Possess strong verbal communication skills with peers, direct reports, and senior leadership.
- Possess excellent communication skills in English and have an attention to detail, and be able to maintain high quality standards.
The successful candidate for the Senior Manager of Construction of Amazon Data Services India Private Limited (ADSIPL), the local Data Center entity in India, will be a key part of the Data Center on-site execution team and will be responsible for the managing the team of Construction Managers of ADSIPL for Data Center (DC) construction, including coordinating with engineering, commissioning, other on-site execution teams and long lead material providers of ADSIPL. This will include the extension of existing facilities and new sites throughout India. The Senior Manager of Construction will play an integral role in the development and implementation of the DC physical plant infrastructure.
This opportunity requires a person who will be responsible for directly leading, mentoring, and coaching skilled Construction Managers and managing a regional construction program delivering industry leading data center capacity to support Amazon’s growth in India. This position in based in Mumbai.
Our data centers are industry-leading examples of energy efficient, cost effective designs. The Data Center Construction team of ADSIPL is responsible for the construction management of all disciplines including civil, electrical, mechanical, controls, and architectural aspects related to the construction of the data center in India. The Senior Manager of Construction will also be used as a resource in their specific discipline and support the wider team delivering efficient and sophisticated electrical and mechanical systems.
At Amazon, we are diverse, driven, and creative team of engineers and leaders working daily to develop and construct data centres that are changing the face of data facilities for our Customers.
The Senior Manager of Construction of ADSIPL will be responsible for:
- Hire and develop new Construction Managers. Coach, mentor, and lead a large Construction Management team of ADSIPL.
- Strategic and tactical management of construction capacity delivery within India.
- Communicate and provide guidance to Finance during the development and execution of capital budgets.
- Coordinate with various teams supporting the data center development and launch in India.
- Develop and manage metrics quantifying performance within India.
- Coordinate with business development on land and facility acquisition
- Oversight of the contractor's safety and quality control program.
In addition this individual must possess the following abilities:
- Ability to lead, motivate, and train team members.
- Ability to dive into technical construction details.
- Ability and willingness to think creatively and build innovative solutions to reduce cost and duration with no impact on quality and reliability.
- Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify the project scope and present the justification to management of ADSIPL in a high-level review.
- Masters Degree in Engineering, Construction, or equivalent.
- 10+ years of construction management experience running construction projects.
- 7+ years of experience directly managing, mentoring, leading, and coaching construction management, engineering design, procurement, controls, and commissioning professionals.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA).
- Experience directly related to the design, operation, or construction of data centers.
- Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, BOCA, NFPA, NEC, CE, and OSHA.
- Knowledge and experience with large scale power systems.