Jun 2, 2020
Ericsson is one of the leading providers of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to service providers. We enable the full value of connectivity by creating game-changing technology and services that are easy to use, adopt, and scale, making our customers successful in a fully connected world. Headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, Ericsson is proud of its global presence across 100+ countries and market areas. With a strong focus on innovation, we possess 49 thousand registered patents and a global strength of over 95 thousand competent professionals. We also take pride in supporting networks that cater to a capacity of 40 percent of the world’s mobile traffic, thereby connecting more than 2.5 billion subscribers and counting. We are a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – by providing hardware, software, and services to enable the full value of connectivity.
This is the Job Description for the Automation Engineer within Automation and Tools Q&OE.
This Job Description shall be retained, updated, controlled and issued by the BMAS/SA Managed Services Service Line Operate Quality and Operational Excellence and be approved by the Head of Automation and Tools Q&OE. Approved copies shall be retained in EriDoc.
1 Job Details
o The Automation Engineer will contribute to the creation of customer solutions. Will be involved in all phases of the software development lifecycle; working towards properly engineered information systems, containing software as the major component, to meet agreed business requirements. Responsible for ensuring that the delivered software components provide the necessary functionality and perform in accordance to the overall requirements as well as to the customer’s expectations.
o Job Stage:
- Position: Automation Engineer
03, 04, 05, 06
o Job Role:
o Reporting Manager:
Manager of Automation and Tools Q&OE
o 24X7 Shift Working:
- Automation Architects
- Delivery Organization (BO, SRF, FO and other service functions)
- Centre-of-Excellence (CoE)
- Business analysts
- Project managers
- Data engineers/ analysts
- Functional experts, business process owners
2 Role Definition
- Work closely with Technical Lead for understanding the functional and technical design
- Develops and configures automation processes as per the technical design document (TDD) to meet the defined requirements. Works on the coding the more complicated automations or reusable components
- Develops new processes/tasks/objects using core workflow principles that are efficient, well structured, maintainable and easy to understand
- Complies with and helps to enforce design and coding standards, policies and procedures
- Ensures documentation is well maintained
- Ensures quality of coded components by performing thorough unit testing
- Works collaboratively with test teams during the product test and UAT phases to fix assigned bugs with quality
- Reports status, issues and risks to tech leads on a regular basis
- Improves skills in automation products by completing automation certification
- Performs code reviews for quality control
3 Key Responsibilities
- Automation engineer work starts after automation identification and assessment.
- Work on the development and integration of the solution
- Solution handover
- Solution support
- The Automation Engineer will be responsible for development and SLCM of all automations assigned to him/her, as enumerated below:
o Automation definition in this context includes support for deployed tools, all change requests to applications developed by the Automation Team as well as fixing application errors (bugs) in such applications.
o For a new automation application, ownership of the solution from the Requirements Analysis Stage through Commitment, Development, Deployment, Operational and Withdrawal Stages.
o Ownership of timely updates to all the affected stakeholders regarding any new factors affecting any Automation application designed or deployed or both.
o Ownership of creation and regular maintenance of the required documentation in respect of the owned Automation applications, at all stages of the automation life-cycle, in accordance with the guidelines
o Configuration Management.
- Access to all necessary information to carry out the assigned responsibilities effectively and in-line with company directives.
5 Candidate Prerequisites
- Education: BE/ B.Tech
- Min years of experience: 0- 7 years
- Deep/broad knowledge of machine learning, automation, robotic process automation (certification preferred)
5.1 Technical Competencies
- Domain experience: (Recruiter to supply area of expertise – e.g.: Cloud, BSS, OSS etc.)
- Good understanding of Groovy, Android, Java, Python, Perl and SQL/DB.
- Crafting & innovating
- Delivering results & meeting customer expectations
- Experience in software development activity
- Should have an analytical mind, follow processes and work independently with minimal assistance
- Relevant experience in technical trouble shooting, coding and updating existing code
- Adequate experience of IP technologies
- Configuration management experience
- Experience in standardization work
5.2 Behavioral Competencies
- Creating & innovating
- Learning and Researching
- Applying expertise and technology
- Presenting & communicating information
- Persuading & Influencing
5.3 Soft Skills
- Fluent English language skills, both written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with client, technical architects and other IT teams and have strong technology acumen
- Ability to multi-task and work on separate projects in a fast paced & dynamic company environment having extremely tight timelines.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited direction or as part of a team.
- Work well under pressure and be able to think clearly during ambiguous situations.
6 Additional Information
The work will include travel in most of the locations where SL Operate will be represented.
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics. Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development. Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.