About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
Senior ER leader responsible for advising and consulting business leadership team, HR and employees on various employee relations issues, including employment law, employee counseling, violations of policy, progressive discipline, involuntary terminations, interpretation and administration of corporate human resources policies and procedures.
Manages employment investigative processes under the direction of attorney(s) when necessary. Responsible for identifying, analyzing, avoiding, and resolving employee relations problems via investigative, committee and project work.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Is a technical expert with in-depth knowledge of employment laws and regulations Proven track record of managing complex employee relations matters
- Experience in setting corporate human resources policies and procedures to meet statutory requirements and business needs.
- Knowledge of the attorney-client privilege and what must be done to preserve the privilege in investigations, etc.
- Ability to identify, analyze/evaluate, and resolve ER issues and provide consultation to management.
- Listening, negotiation, and analytical skills necessary for coaching and counselling managers and employees.
- Knowledge of business unit strategies processes and practices in order to identify ER and HR needs.
- Serves as a resource/expert on employee relations, including interpreting company and business unit policies, progressive discipline (for violations of policy), involuntary terminations, and safety and security. Consults and collaborates with management, HR, HR Compliance Officer, Legal and other centers of expertise regarding same.
- Responsible for facilitating improvements in policies, practices, procedures based on learnings from investigations.
- Conducts investigations (under the attorney-client privilege when necessary) into sensitive/complex employment situations; provides guidance to business unit management and HR regarding employee counseling, progressive discipline, and involuntary terminations.
- Consults with management, HR, and Legal with respect to findings.
- Participates in special committees to formulate/discuss Human Resources policy for the bank and to address/resolve violations of company policy.
- Participates in special projects to review and analyze Northern policies; research Northern and industry best practices, procedures, and programs; facilitates change.
- Assists Regional Employee Relations Manager in record-keeping, including status reports on pending cases, internal employee complaints/issues; analyzes trends; provides statistical analyses of employee population; assists the Regional Employee Relations Manager in formulating guidelines and conducting briefings for management and HR.
- Identifies specific business unit employee relations needs. Works with appropriate HR and/or or business unit representatives to plan, develop, and implement solutions. Acts as a liaison for ER to the business in order to facilitate the smooth delivery of various employee relations initiatives.
- Handles more extensive, high-profile work.
- Strategic in developing, implementing and administering HR / ER programs within functional areas.
- Determines best methods for discovering and communicating to the appropriate audiences changes in laws and regulations and takes an active role in the implementation of those changes so as to be fully compliant.
- Delivers training on ER-related topics, as required.
- Leads projects to completion.
- Degree in Law (preferred) OR Post graduate specialization in Human Resources with 14 or more years of experience, including demonstrated Employee Relations and HR compliance experience.
- Excellent analytical and verbal/written communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience in effective interaction with senior management.
NOS is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations/ adjustments would be provided to candidates with disability to participate in the selection process on an equal basis with others. Reasonable accommodations includes (but not limited to) scribe for writing tests, sign language interpreter, written/chat interview or any other. Please reach out to the recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.