FO plays a vital role in enabling the delivery of Finance Functional excellence to RDS. In the delivery of its core processes FO ensures: the quality of the data & data model for key aspects of Finance; the design, implementation and measurement of a number of those core processes; the design and delivery of a fit for purposes control framework and provides business insights through advanced data and process analytics.
Reporting & Analysis employs some 25% of the total staff of FO. The core purpose of R&A is to provide a top quartile (effectiveness and efficiency) team to drive an agenda of financial accounting, reporting and analysis that delivers the majority of relevant external (Group and Corporate) and internal reporting for RDS. The team is designed to drive a process agenda (for efficiency) and a connectivity agenda (for effectiveness and integration) under the four core business pillars of RDS, namely Upstream, Downstream, Integrated Gas & New Energies, Projects &Technology, combined with Corporate, Holdings and Treasury (CHT).
The Finance Analyst will sit within R&A CHT supporting corporate service companies and will be based out of Chennai. As part of a small but dynamic team, the role is integral in providing financial analysis and reporting of the Corporate sector quarterly and full year results and associated planning MI. This role provides an outstanding opportunity for an energetic and ambitious finance professional who wants to develop his/her skills in an analytical and continuously changing business environment. This job provides an excellent opportunity to get an overview of the Corporate sector. The analyst will interact with business analysts from within the business and the finance and HR functions.
- Understanding Shell internal group reporting and analysis requirements for Corporate service entities whilst ensuring key controls and reconciliations are carried out as per the reporting timetable.
- Responsible for preparing and completing the quarterly Group Return close process as well as latest estimates.
- Reporting and Trend Analysis of Corporate Results: The role has responsibility for analysing and reporting the profit, capex and cash flow components within the Corporate business. He / she will need to work closely with other members of the Planning & Reporting team, the Business Units, Treasury and Group Reporting, and display a deep understanding of the issues and trends driving business performance and results. The role also requires the individual to communicate and discuss the results with Group Reporting, Tax, Corporate Controller and Investor Relations and occasionally external auditors. The individual will also be critical in driving improvements in the reporting processes and tools.
- Latest Estimates: The incumbent will work closely with the Business Units & Treasury to ensure that a robust Latest Estimate is derived on a regular basis.
- Coordination of Corporate Operational Plan: To enhance their own development, the candidate will be expected to coordinate the preparation and submission of the operational plan. This will require the individual to understand the cost and recovery structure of the functions and sub-portfolios. Monitoring and reporting of performance against plan also forms part of the position responsibilities.
- IFRS: The candidate will be responsible for keeping abreast of the changes in relevant accounting standards and providing advice and support to the team and Business Analysts. The candidate will be expected to work closely with Group Reporting in compiling and reviewing any Group Audit Review Papers that impact the Corporate sector.
- Other special projects: Once established, the candidate will be expected to participate in projects to enhance the deliverables of the team.
- Provide support as required in the preparation of the Annual Statutory accounts and liaison with other Finance Functions e.g. Tax, Group Reporting and FiB.
- Proactively liaise with the different functions, providing business and finance support to upstream as well as downstream.
- Play an active role in ensuring integrity of MRD within the ERP system (SERP) and ensuring all reporting requirements are met.
- Assist with managing and responding to internal & external audit queries. Timely and effective responses to special data/project requests.
- Ensuring the creation, maintenance and update of process and procedures documentation.
- Assisting with the Business Assurance process. Assisting with providing financial guidance and ensuring compliance with relevant Group, IFRS and Statutory requirements.
Ensure all the above activities are performed in an effective, controlled and efficient manner.
This position will report to Senior Team Manager in the R&A CHT Finance Operations (FO) Chennai, India. It will be essential to work closely with the legal entity controller and several senior stakeholders who
might have different priorities. Adapt quickly to changing priorities whilst still delivering timely and
accurate information despite the changing requirements and timelines.
The focal should be fundamentally sound, able to utilize prior experience and analytical skills to assess complex problems and able to devise solutions under tight monthly and quarterly closing deadlines.
Thorough understanding of financial and management accounting.
- Extensive understanding of UK & US GAAP and IFRS accounting Standards and reporting requirements.
- Prior experience of and willingness to have hands-on involvement in the day-to –day financial activities.
- Analytical, systems/process and accounting skills, with the ability to recognize underlying issues and develop appropriate resolutions
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- CI mind set, able to identify ESSA opportunities and manage change.
The aim of the Shell Business Operations, Chennai is to provide the Group with operational excellence through highlighting and utilizing process improvements and functional efficiencies as well as by leveraging economies of scale. Currently, the Chennai centre provides a wide range of finance, accounting and business services to Shell operating companies across several business sectors globally.
Set up in September 2007, the Chennai centre has grown rapidly and now , in its fourth year of operations , it has crossed the 1600 staff mark. The centre is located in the RMZ Millennia Business Park, where the Shell campus is a LEED Platinum building with world class infrastructure. The business is expected to grow further over the next two years and infrastructural additions to support this have been planned.
The main focus in Chennai is on Finance Operations which supports delivery of the global Finance functional plan. There is also a ‘Downstream India’ - Customer Services Team that handles lubricant depot ordering within the country. The Shell Business Operations (SBO Team) manages the centre facilities and supports business partners’ operations on site. There is a strong focus at SBO on safety & well being of staff and on its three core values: Compliance, Intervention & Respect.
We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.