Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life.
If you would like some flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
We’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We count on our site reliability engineers (SREs) to empower our users with a rich feature set, high availability, and stellar performance level to pursue their missions. As we expand our customer deployments, we are currently seeking an experienced SRE to deliver insights from massive scale data in real time. Specifically, we are searching for someone who brings fresh ideas, demonstrates a unique and informed viewpoint, and enjoys collaborating with a cross-functional team to develop real-world solutions and positive user experiences at every interaction.
What will you be doing?
What we’re looking for:
- Acting as a guide for technical operations and development teams, using data-driven decisions to inform priorities
- Consulting with teams to improve all aspects of software reliability, performance and quality
- Measure and optimize system performance, with an eye toward pushing our capabilities forward, getting ahead of customer needs, and innovating to continually improve
- Support environment (PROD / NON-PROD) by monitoring availability and taking a holistic view of system health
- Build software and systems to manage platform infrastructure and applications
- Provide primary technical support and engineering for multiple large distributed software applications
- The ability to understand the inherent trade-offs between various software architectures as it relates to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, load balancing, data consistency
- The ability to educate members of the organisation on SRE best practices.
Skills that will help you in the role:
- In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of: host-based cloud computing (AWS / OpenShift etc), systems programming, distributed systems, databases and Kubernetes (and a desire to learn more)
- A proven track record of automation and an algorithmic approach to solving problems
- A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, performance bottlenecks, etc.
- Ability to profile and debug applications in real-time.
- BS in Computer Science, IT, IS, or equivalent area of technical study (IT experience can substitute for a BS degree)
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose and Values
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do:
Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our flexible working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.