Job description for Senior Research Manager at CSIP, Ashoka University
About Ashoka University:
Ashoka University is a private, non-profit university. An unprecedented example of collective public
philanthropy in India, it is a pioneer in its focus on the Liberal Arts. The University offers undergraduate
and postgraduate programs across the humanities, social sciences and fundamental natural sciences.
The aim is to help students become well-rounded individuals who are able to think critically about
issues from multiple perspectives, communicate effectively and go on to become ethical self-aware
leaders with a commitment to public service. Ashoka has built collaborations with University of
Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, Carleton College, King's College London, Sciences Po, UC
Berkeley, Trinity College Dublin and Yale University. To learn more about Ashoka University visit
About the Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP):
Along with having a robust academic program, the University is home to Centers of Excellence that
address some critical areas of relevance to society, and India in particular. These include the Centre
for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP), which is the pioneering Centre in India for research and
capacity-building towards the advancement of social impact. The Centre’s research is focused on
critical topics in social impact and philanthropy, with emphasis on applied research.
About the Role:
Centre of Social Impact and Philanthropy is looking for a motivated Senior Research Manager. The
candidate should have the flexibility to work on multiple projects, ability to work in a fast moving and
dynamic environment and display a natural aptitude for primary and secondary research.
The Senior Research Manager should at least have a master’s degree in statistics or economics with
specialisation in statistical methods, or social sciences with training in qualitative and quantitative
research methods. Advanced degree holders in social sciences with training in ethnographic research
methods and anthropology are also welcome to apply.
The candidate should have 7-9 years of experience working with large datasets in research
institutions, market research firms, think tanks, big data firms. Additionally, candidates with familiarity
or experience of working in social impact/development sector will be welcome. The candidate should
have excellent verbal and written communication skills required for research reports and publications.
The Senior Research Manager will work with the Research Director on the following:
- Identify relevant data and datasets for issues and projects
- Collate and analyse primary and secondary data independently using relevant software
- Creating, maintaining and populating a database of relevant stakeholders and institutions
- Implement & execute the creation of knowledge, data and research repositories
- Work extensively with independent contractors, consultants and specialised research
- Writing reports, long form articles and putting together ‘Thought Leadership’ publications
online and offline on relevant fora
Required skills and traits:
- Identify and engage relevant stakeholders for executing teaching programmes and workshops
- Business development and institutional partnerships
- Leveraging existing expertise and resources of Ashoka University
- Quantitative analysis software such as SPSS / SAS / R / other similar open source software
- Qualitative analysis software such as Atlas.ti/NVivo/other similar software
On a rolling basis.
Interested candidates should send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject
line – Senior Research Manager Application:
(Applicant Name) -
- One-page resume
- Cover Letter (500 words)
- Describe one big project that you were a part of and your role in it (500 words)