The Director of Government Affairs will lead a nimble team to advance the four strategic priorities above. The person will not only manage and coach the team to progress, he/she will also be responsible for stewarding the strategy and approach for Government Affairs at Teach For India. The Director of Government Affairs, moreover, will build our partnership infrastructure, be our key liaison, and coordinate meetings, at multiple levels, with the government.
Teach For India is currently establishing a Government Affairs vertical to lead and coordinate its growing partnerships across our regions. The vertical will be tasked with four primary responsibilities to advance our partnerships with governments. First, it will lead our advocacy work, both nationally and regionally, to espouse key issues that are central to Teach For India and the wider educational space. Second, it will lead and implement collaborative projects with both local and national governments. Third, it will focus on cultivating partnerships and relationships within the government. And fourth, the vertical will support regions to create the local capacity needed to lead strategic interventions with local governments.
What Teach For India Can Offer You
1) A challenging yet flexible workplace in which every individual employee’s staff journey is tracked for excellence and leadership development.
2) A work environment in which employees’ holistic well-being is a core priority, enabling people to be their best selves.
3) The opportunity to be part of one of the most established and visionary movements in the education sector in India, which is at a pivotal point in terms of expanding its scale and outreach while working with changemakers across the country.
4) Access to connections and resources from the global Teach For All network that includes partner organisations spanning over 50 countries across 6 continents.
5) Remuneration that is competitive with Indian NGO pay scales and a benefits package that includes extensive medical insurance and maternity coverage for both parents.
Reporting directly into our CXO, the Director of Government Affairs will have four sets of responsibilities:
Strategy and Approach
Design a strategy, accompanied by a nimble approach, to lead our four-pronged work with Government Affairs
Design, steward, and adapt an aligned operational plan that will advance progress and adjust to current realities
Mobilize key internal stakeholders around our strategy and approach
Develop a plan that deeply understands the priorities and structure of both local and national governments
Recruit and hire effective and experienced talent to lead our efforts
Manage, coach, and lead a nimble team, which may also consist of part-time consultants, to ambitious results
Partnerships and Coalitions
Act as the key liaison with national government bodies and with prioritized, high-potential local ones
Build an infrastructure to support long-term partnerships with government bodies
Forge coalitions and partnerships with non-profit and private sector bodies
Coordinate and establish meetings with between government officials and senior leaders of Teach For India
Identify and cultivate high-potential collaborative projects with prioritized local governments as well as national government bodies
Assemble and build nimble part-time teams to lead and implement projects
Secure funding and support for execution
Lead the design and implementation of a national Fellowship for potential government officials
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
A Bachelor’s or a Master’s Degree in any field
8+ years of relevant work experience
Previous experience managing large projects and teams to successful outcomes
Fluency in both English and Hindi
Preferred Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
Previous teaching/education experience would be an added advantage
Previous experience working with the government would be an added advantage
Conversational Marathi, Tamil, Telegu, Kannada, and/or Gujarati are an added advantage