Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) is an early stage global technology enterprise using rich data and smart algorithms to help smallholder farmers make better production decisions. We are advised by top academics at Harvard and Brown Universities and backed by global funders.
It’s possible to boost production of major crops by 30% and reduce environmental impact simply by managing agricultural inputs better. Part of this promise has already been achieved in developed countries, where precision agriculture technologies have improved targeting of inputs to local conditions.
PAD is adapting precision agriculture for smallholder farmers in the developing world. We are building an intelligent platform that provides individualized production recommendations based on theory and data. Our vision is better livelihoods for the poor, drawn from a more productive, environmentally-friendly landscape.
In a rigorous randomized controlled trial in India, the alpha version of our voice-based service increased yields by 8.6-28%, with a social benefit to cost ratio of 10/1 (Cole and Fernando 2016). We have scaled up our pilot, growing from 200 to 53,000 users over the past 16 months in Gujarat. We are also operational in Odisha and are exploring new opportunities in Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
Our ambitions are large: our funders include Silicon Valley venture capitalists and technology entrepreneurs, and we believe that technological innovations create new scope and opportunities to address rural poverty and close the global food production gap. We aim to improve the lives of 100 million farmers in developing countries. To reach our goals, we will tap new technologies (like microsatellites, drones, smartphones, and machine vision), which have the promise to vastly improve the intelligence of our service and the quality of recommendations we provide to farmers.
PAD’s senior leadership team includes professors and global experts in technology and development with considerable combined experience in sub-Saharan Africa and India as well as deep expertise in data sciences and monitoring and evaluation. The board includes Professor Michael Kremer (Harvard University), Professor Shawn Cole (Harvard Business School), Professor Daniel Björkegren (Brown University), and Heiner Baumann (Harvard Business School alum, former McKinsey).
PAD’s India team consists of alumni from IIM-Ahmedabad, IIT-Kanpur and Delhi College of Engineering with experience in management, research, and building start-ups.
Based on the success in Gujarat, and the pilot in Odisha, PAD is in advanced discussions with the Government of Odisha and reputed international funders to bring the digital agri-advisory solution to at least one million (1,000,000) farmers by the end of year 2020. PAD will integrate and use some of the most cutting-edge technologies in agricultural domain while collaborating with top international and national research organizations. To lead the overall project strategy and implementation, PAD is looking for an experienced management professional with the necessary skills to work on a high profile, high potential project.
This position may also entail engaging in exploration/implementation of PAD’s service in other Indian states and exchanging ideas and practices with international PAD programs in Kenya and Ethiopia.
We offer highly competitive compensation, a signing and relocation bonus, international work experience, and the opportunity to apply leadership and technology based problem solving skills in a high-growth, impact-oriented environment.
The primary role of this position is to serve as State Head of PAD in Odisha, with the following responsibilities:
• Refine vision and strategy for the state with the senior leadership and effectively implement the same
• Lead the overall operational and implementation activities, ensuring project milestones are delivered on time and within budget
• Build, manage and strengthen relations with different partners and stakeholders: technology providers, agri-businesses, development organizations, non-profits and other service providers and implementation partners to facilitate scale-up of the PAD service
• Understand end user’s requirement and support the development of the optimum product for Odisha
• Support the development and implementation of the technology platform to deliver the product
• Build a strong personal and institutional working relationship with state government officials within all the program relevant departments
• Build and implement a capacity building plan that facilitates the transfer of system management to government
• Lead the overall hiring, training and management of staff across verticals
• Manage contracts, grants and sub-partner monitoring functions at the state level including managing deliverables and spending rate
• Preparation of progress and expense reports for the funders
• Operationalize the ‘Management Information Systems (MIS)’ at the district and state level, undertake periodic analysis and report progress to senior leadership
• Be responsible for submission of project reports, invoices/bills or any other documents to the concerned stakeholders
The successful candidate will also assume the role of Program Director and be responsible for the following tasks:
• In coordination with India Country Director, explore and as appropriate set up projects and activities in other states in India
• Participate in relevant research and knowledge generation activities and exchange learning and tools with other PAD entities, partners in India, South Asia and Sub Saharan Africa
• Follow relevant trends in precision agriculture, innovations and best practices in government extension services
• Carry out any other responsibility as assigned by the India Country Director and the global management team
• Master's in Business Administration or an equivalent degree/experience
• 3+ years of relevant experience in business development, consulting and management in multiple sectors
• Proven professional experience leading large programs and, bringing individual projects to scale
• Self-motivated, with a strong ability and drive to lead the project independently at the state level
• Ability to work effectively with Government departments and officials at all levels, with the energy, patience and proactive problem solving needed to overcoming obstacles and co-creating a customer (farmer) centric service
• Experience working with start-ups and high-growth environment preferred
• Experience in agricultural sector and/or rural development preferred
• Excellent managerial, liaison and negotiation skills
• Work experience in Odisha and local language skills (Oria) preferred
• Willingness to travel within Odisha and other states across India based on requirement
• Excellent communications, written and presentation skills in English and Hindi; knowledge of local language, Oriya, will be an added advantage
• Strong reporting and upward management skills
Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) is an early stage high-growth global... technology enterprise. We use the latest research and technological advances to provide customized advice to smallholder farmers so they can make better production decisions that increase crop yields and income. We are supported by world-renowned academics from Harvard and other top universities and are backed by leading private foundations. Read full description