Programme Manager – I Love Reading (ILR) Greater Noida
Katha is a grassroots Indian not for profit organization that for the last 29 years has been empowering children to become agents of change through quality education, teacher training, and world-class book publishing. Katha works in the slums of New Delhi to ensure that children from underprivileged backgrounds are able to receive the quality of education needed to build a better future for themselves and their families.
About - I Love Reading (ILR)
I Love Reading! (ILR) is an innovative reading and school transformation program that Katha runs in Delhi , Noida and Greater Noida’s municipal government schools and surrounding slum communities. It aims to improve the effectiveness of elementary education in the government school system, especially reading skills for children, with a focus on under-served children in Delhi. Studies have proved that reading is the key to performance. When children do well in school, their self-esteem and confidence go up and with it their attendance and retention. This enables them to stay in school to complete their education, and opens opportunities for them to become strong leaders of the nation.
ILR is based on Katha’s proven education and teacher training methods that we have developed, tested and refined over the last 29 years. Katha also uses its beautifully illustrated, internationally acclaimed storybooks for children to engage children in reading and to help teachers tackle some of the most pressing issues in India such as poverty, inequality and to enable sustainable change. These storybooks are from Katha’s collection of 200+ children’s titles sourced from India’s many regional languages and published in Hindi and English.
ILR is a holistic, multi-stakeholder model that engages all key stakeholders by:
• Helping children improve their reading skills, in school and in slum communities using stories that provide a culturally rich environment;
• Training teachers to use Katha’s Story Pedagogy to engage children in learning; manage large class sizes, develop interesting curriculum, and linking learning to community issues to ensure education is relevant
• Creating forums for school principals to share best practices
• Empowering parents to take action on community issues such as access to safe drinking water, sanitation and healthcare to remove obstacles to regular school attendance; and
• Engaging government to give Katha access to schools and demonstrate the model’s success.
Leading the planning and implementation of the project:
• Oversee and coordinate entire program
• Coordinate and supervise the program, evaluation, assessment, and reporting.
• Prepare presentations, attends meetings, and networks with community members to determine needs of the community so as to facilitate program operations
• Collect and analyze program data and use it for program improvement
• Establish a routine schedule of school visits to monitor overall school operations
• Oversee and monitor the use of program resources
• Identify training needs of staff and build their capacities
• Facilitate the planning, execution, and logistic of teacher training workshops
• Working with the programme Team Leads to facilitate the development and tracking of goals , objectives within the stipulated timeline timelines
• Organising and facilitating meetings, tracking and reporting project progress against set indicators and following up on action items
• Mapping Quality at each levels (on the basis of KPIs given on the programme) and continuous assessment of the programme as a whole
• Networking, proposal development and resource mobilisation for ILR Programme
Volunteer Engagement, Visibility and Brand Building:
• Working closely with social Media Team on creating visibility of the programme in Delhi and spread the positive outcomes across stakeholders from different walks of life through diverse mediums
• Collaborate with institutions, agencies and individuals for forming support group and value addition into the programme by engaging volunteers, consultations, and solution exchange meetings
Other than programme manager we need teachers for ILR Greater Noida
Desirable Skills ( programme Manager)
• Masters Degree in Social Work/Social Science with 1 – 4 yrs of relevant experience preferably in development sector
• Good Communication Skills – Both Hindi and English
• Report Writing Skills
• Strong inclination and interest in education
• Should be able to deliver under deadlines
Desirable Skills ( Teachers)
Post Graduate/ Graduate / B.Ed/ JBT/ ECCE
Can teach in Hindi with creative ways
minimum 1 year of experience
Founded in 1988, Katha works in New Delhi's slums to... ensure that children receive high-quality education. Over the last 24 years, Katha (which means ‘story’ in Hindi) has developed a unique approach that uses a story-based pedagogy to increase children’s engagement in education and raise literacy levels in both Hindi and English. Katha Lab School is Katha's incubator for innovative ideas in children's education and teacher training. Katha works with schools and communities to take a creative approach to education that makes learning inspiring and interactive, for example through a focus on more stories and less textbooks, more projects and competitions and less exams.
The innovative methods that are developed and tested in Katha Lab School are also extended outside the school to reach a larger number of children through other Katha programs. For example, I Love Reading (ILR) is a literacy and school transformation program that aims to promote the joy of learning and improve attendance and attainment levels across all subjects. Katha has already successfully implemented I Love Reading in 50 Delhi Government schools and 122 slum communities, reaching over 130,000 children, and will expand this program into 75 additional Delhi Government schools this year.
• NASDAQ Stock Market Education Award.
• Stockholm Challenge Award Finalist .
• NGO Award for Transparency and Accountability , by Resource Alliance and Rockefeller Foundation
• Nominated for Astrid Lindren Memorial Award 2012.
• ICICI India Inclusive Award  Read full description