Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) is an early stage high-growth global technology enterprise. We use the latest research and technological advances to provide customized advice to smallholder farmers so they can make better production decisions that increase crop yields and income. We are supported by world-renowned academics from Harvard and other top universities and are backed by leading private foundations.
PAD is looking for an experienced manager to develop and maintain the strategic partnerships required to support rapid and lasting organizational growth throughout India. We offer competitive compensation, international work experience, and the opportunity to apply your business development and general management skills in an entrepreneurial and impact-oriented environment.
Interested applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter to jobs(at)precisionag(dot)org and reference this position in the subject line.
It’s possible to boost production of major crops by 30% and reduce environmental impact simply by managing agricultural inputs better. Part of this promise has already been achieved in developed countries, where precision agriculture technologies have improved targeting of inputs to local conditions.
PAD is adapting precision agriculture for smallholder farmers in the developing world. We are building an intelligent platform that provides individualized production recommendations based on theory and data. Our vision is better livelihoods for the poor, drawn from a more productive, environmentally-friendly landscape.
In a rigorous randomized controlled trial in India, the alpha version of our voice-based service increased yields by 8.6-28%, with a social benefit to cost ratio of 10/1 (Cole and Fernando 2016). We have scaled up our pilot, growing from 200 to 53,000 users over the past 16 months in Gujarat. We are also operational in Odisha and are exploring new opportunities in Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
Our ambitions are large: our funders include Silicon Valley venture capitalists and technology entrepreneurs, and we believe that technological innovations create new scope and opportunities to address rural poverty and close the global food production gap. We aim to improve the lives of 100 million farmers in developing countries. To reach our goals, we will tap new technologies (like microsatellites, drones, smartphones, and machine vision), which have the promise to vastly improve the intelligence of our service and the quality of recommendations we provide to farmers.
PAD’s senior leadership team includes professors and global experts in technology and development with considerable combined experience in sub-Saharan Africa and India as well as deep expertise in data sciences and monitoring and evaluation. The board includes Professor Michael Kremer (Harvard University), Professor Shawn Cole (Harvard Business School), Professor Daniel Björkegren (Brown University), and Heiner Baumann (Harvard Business School alum, former McKinsey).
PAD’s India team consists of alumni from IIM-Ahmedabad and Delhi College of Engineering with experience in management, research, and building start-ups.
The Director of Strategic Alliances and Partnerships will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Lead all business development activities in close coordination with the India Country Director
• Build and manage relations with India partners to facilitate scale-up: different technology providers, agribusinesses, government, development organizations, non-profits, other service providers, and implementation partners
• Develop proposals, presentations, budget estimates, and other related documents for different partnership opportunities
• Devise measures to review the effectiveness of alliances and partnerships
• Take a proactive part in developing and building the mid and long term financial sustainability of PAD India
• Provide ad hoc support to implementation of field operations across different projects and scoping studies in India
• Participate in strategic planning and organizational capacity building initiatives
• Lead and support other tasks as requested by India Country Director
• Master's degree in Business Administration
• 3+ years of relevant experience in business development, consulting, and management in multiple sectors
• Proven track record in starting, growing, and managing partnerships and large projects
• Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communications skills
• Ability to work effectively
• Experience working with early-stage technology and growth oriented organizations preferred
• Experience in agricultural sector and/or rural development preferred
• Excellent managerial skills
• Willingness to travel, high degree of flexibility
• Fluency in English and Hindi
Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) is an early stage high-growth global... technology enterprise. We use the latest research and technological advances to provide customized advice to smallholder farmers so they can make better production decisions that increase crop yields and income. We are supported by world-renowned academics from Harvard and other top universities and are backed by leading private foundations. Read full description